Bill de hÓra wrote:

Julian Reschke wrote: Below are some comments that I just added to the Pace:

"- Requiring the namespace declaration on a particular element means (a) profiling XMLNS,

I don't have a problem with this. Taking XMLNS warts and all cause more problems that it solves.

Well, it also enables us to relatively painlessly combine Atom and XHTML in the same document.

(b) defeating potential space optimizations by having the namespace declaration only once, and

Do you have a sense of how serious not allowing these potential optimizations is?

I just tried with Tim's feed, and I am getting a reduction of around 4%. Your mileage may vary a log depending on typical length and structure of content.

(c) breaks XML toolkits that do not provide full control over where namespace declarations appear.

They sound like dysfunctional toolkits. Can you name some (ie it might be persuasive if it came to light that a scad of PHP users were left high and dry).

I wrote one myself back when Xerces' serializer was broken in regards of namespace handling. For the same reasons, similar serializers may exist elsewhere.

- if this pace gets accepted, I would ask for the same DIV container element for HTML content for reasons of symmetry."

+1 to that symmetry.

Best regards, Julian