Sorry for replying to my own posts. This problem is a little tricky.

Another way of looking at the problem is that the proposed limitation
is the same as thinking of id as an entry version identifier. This
interpretation of the id had I thought been rejected by many in the past.

I think that resolving what the id construct is by fiat in favor of the functional id or the equivalence id interpretation of id, cannot be
portrayed as a correct representation of the desires of this group.
Since this group has been split either way the best way to solve the
issue clearly is to allow 2 ids:

        - versionId: this is the equivalence relation id, and there can
                only be one entry with the same id per document.
    - entryId: this is the functional relation id, and there can be
        more than one entry with the same id per document.

This I think would clearly solve the problem by allowing each side of
the debate to have their requirements fulfilled.

Henry Story