I think that there is a risk of interoperability problems if we don't state
which attributes are allowed on the xhtml:div wrapper.

As the xhtml:div wrapper is not part of the content: is it allowed to contain
XHTML attributes such as class and style?

I assume that if these attributes are allowed, then they should be ignored by
renderers, and the attributed xhtml:div should be treated as an un-attributed
one.

However, as xml:lang definitions made outside the content construct apply to
the XHTML, I would assume that xml:lang attributes made on the xhtml:div
itself, should apply to the XHTML.

If I've got this right, then I think that these implied rules are rather
surprising.

Should we:

  a) keep the current text.

  b) disallow attributes on the xhtml:div wrapper.

  c) disallow XHTML attributes on the xhtml:div wrapper, but
     allow xml:lang.

I vote for b).

Allowing xml:lang on xhtml:div is unnecessary because it can be placed on the
content construct itself with the same effect.  Allowing attributes on a
wrapper element which most people would otherwise just throw away adds
unnecessary complexity and surprise.

--
Dave