Thursday, March 17, 2005, 6:38:18 AM, you wrote:

> Mildly put, I was never a big fan of the xhtml:div wrapper.

> But if xml:lang is disallowed on the xhtml:div wrapper, this
> makes even less sense to me. If Atom processors can handle
> (i.e. correctly inherit) xml:lang from atom: elements into
> the xhtml: elements as they are required to, I don't see
> why they wouldn't be able to handle xml:lang on xhtml:div.

> Regards,    Martin.

This issue interacts with the issue in my other thread "xml:base and
xml:lang".

If we change the spec to say something like:

> Any atom-namespaced element in the Atom Document MAY have an
> xml:base attribute.
>
> Any atom-namespaced element in an Atom Document MAY have an xml:lang
> attribute

Then the implication is that we are saying nothing about what
attributes are allowed on XHTML-namespaced elements, and that is left
for XHTML to define.

But, I think that we should disallow xhtml attributes on the
xhtml:div, otherwise implementors that copy the xhtml:div directly
through to the renderer will be incorrect.

So we either say:

1)

  atom:* elements MAY have xml:base and xml:lang attributes.

  The xhtml:div wrapper MUST NOT contain any attribute other than
  namespace attributes.

or:

2)

  atom:* elements MAY have xml:base and xml:lang attributes.

  The xhtml:div wrapper MUST NOT contain any attribute other than
  namespace attributes and xml:lang.

--
Dave