I do think also that there are plenty of use cases suggesting that
alternate might not be always available. However in that context where
there's no feasible alternate, it would be extremely useful to know
you can count on atom:id. If not, what else can you rely on to track
your "content" as it flows from system to system without an alternate.
I have not been following atom-syntax for a while, but are there any
other elements that could be used if no alternate was not found? I
think this is the reason why Sam has never seen anybody complain about
link because, it doubles as id as well, but since we have a clear
separation in atom, either or both might be good to be specified.

Just my two cents.

Elias Torres