On 5/4/05, fantasai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The definition of 'alternate' is not one line long on my screen, but
> here's the first sentence of it:
>
>   # Alternate
>   #   Designates substitute versions for the document in which the link
> occurs.
>
>   -- http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#h-6.12
>
> How is a link from the top of my homepage to my friend's weblog feed
> designating a "substitute version for the document in which the link
> occurs"?

I don't know, but I'm not sure why you think that's what the
autodiscovery spec endorses. Is there some part of the spec that
endorses that? The autodiscovery spec is for use by UAs like Mozilla
and Safari that present little icons alerting the user to a feed
version of a page. Often, I never visit the page again, once I've
subscribed to the feed. The feed is a substitute.

> Note that we are not arguing the semantics of the <link> element in
> an Atom document, but the semantics of the <link> element in an HTML
> document.

Yes, I caught that.

Robert Sayre