On 5/10/05, Eric Scheid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The need is to not confuse users. Safari under tiger now does RSS
> auto-discovery, which means

... that it will be totally borked if Atom feeds with rel="alternate"
autodiscovery turn out to be in a namespace other than the Atom 0.3
one. It occurred to me after I changed Mark's "Such notification could
also be built directly into future versions of desktop web browsers."
to "Such notification is also built directly into some desktop web
browsers." that it's not a very good thing for Atom 1.0 that it is: I
don't know about Safari and Opera, but thanks to ultra-liberal
autodiscovery Firefox will be discovering Atom 1.0 feeds without
knowing how to handle them no matter what, unless we beat the Firefox
1.1 clock by just the right amount.

At least changing the @rel value will give more cautious
autodiscoverers a fighting chance at not discovering Atom 1.0 until
they know how to read it. During the changeover, rel="alternate feed"
would still be risky, but a careful publisher could call their
alternate feed only rel="feed" until they felt enough clients
understood 1.0 to risk confusing legacy 0.3 clients.

Phil Ringnalda