On May 21, 2005, at 8:10 PM, Bob Wyman wrote:

It seems like you are concerned that people who see a change in your feed will re-fetch the HTML? If this is your concern, then do as you do now and don't refresh the feed unless you have a change that warrants an update
to atom:updated.

No. As a matter of policy, my feed contains the most recent 20 posts. However, if one of those posts is a long post and only the summary is provided, when I make a change, I make a conscious decision whether it's sufficient that I want newsreaders to re-fetch it, and if so I change the datestamp, otherwise not.

This is totally up to you and support for atom:modified
wouldn't change that.

Yes, atom:modified would require that I update the date, and have the entry fetched another ten thousand times, even if I made a change that struck me as trivial. Since I'm a good citizen about specs, I would do this wasteful thing. Others would just ignore it. -Tim