On 23 May 2005, at 3:45 pm, James Aylett wrote:

Why can't we just have the semantics that if you have two Person
constructs, you'll get the effects of having two Person constructs?
That way it's up to the producer of the feed - if they want the
semantics that they'll have identical names listed twice in author
lists, indexes or whatever, they can do that.

That's the intention of the spec, and the restriction. If you can come up with better wording, then we can go with that.

The other intention is that one person shouldn't (and doesn't need to be) listed as both an author and a contributor (ie a author is by definition a contributor). Does anyone object to that?

Graham