On 23 May 2005, at 2:55 pm, James Aylett wrote:

<atom:author>
  <atom:person><atom:name>Anne Rice</atom:name></atom:person>
<atom:person><atom:name>Howard Allen O'Brien</atom:name></ atom:person>
</atom:author>

then I've hacked around your restriction. That's still the same person
listed twice. As I understand your wording, it's violating the spec -
but it's undetectable. No way on earth any Atom processor that isn't a
human being is going to notice, so how can we reasonably put that as a
restriction in the spec?

That's exactly why there's a restriction, because the processor can't tell for itself what's going on, so it needs the publisher to provide correct data about what's what. With the restriction, the processor can safely treat them as separate people and tell the end user "This entry was written by Anne Rice and Howard Allen O'Brien". Without the restriction, all it can conclude is "The names Anne Rice and Howard Allen O'Brien are in some way related to the authorship of this entry"

Graham