* James Cerra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-05-24 06:35]:
> > > XML 1.1
> >
> > Not supported.
>
> I'm confused.  There is nothing inherent in the spec that
> prevents XML 1.1 or any future versions from being supported.
> And why introduce incompatibilities in atom:content that also
> bork with arbitrary XML 1.0 documents too?  I assert this,
> because the spec says in section 4.1.3.3, "Processing Model,"
> that:

You can only embed XML 1.1 documents directly into another
document if that document is also XML 1.1. (Note that I am not
talking about transporting XML 1.1 documents as an opaque
serialized string.)

Embedding XML 1.1 documents inside an XML 1.0 document is not
possible, because
• XML 1.1 allows control characters to be included as entities
  which XML 1.0 forbids in any form,
• an XML 1.0 processor will not understand an embedded XML 1.1
  document,
• etc.

> ] 4.  If the value of "type" ends with "+xml" or "/xml"
> ]     (case-insensitive), the content of atom:content MAY
> ]     include child elements, and SHOULD be suitable for
> ]     handling as the indicated media type.  If the "src"
> ]     attribute is not provided, this would normally mean that
> ]     the "atom:content" element would contain a single child
> ]     element which would serve as the root element of the XML
> ]     document of the indicated type.
>
> First off: it is an error to lie about your media-type, so I
> would change "SHOULD be suitable for handling as the indicated
> media type" to "MUST be suitable for handling as the indicated
> media type."

An Atom processor does not know whether the embedded XML document
is a valid document of the given type. Only an attached processor
for the given document type will be able to decide. As such, the
validity of the Atom feed document is not affected by the media
type. It will, of course, cause interop problems if you lie about
the media type, hence SHOULD.

> Secondly, XML may be entity (or CDATA) encoded like
> @type="html" or plain xml like @type="xhtml".  This is becuase
> of the "content of atom:content MAY include child elements"
> phrase.  There is no guarantee if an entity escaped passage is
> xml or a text node example of an xml document (i.e. an example
> of an xml document), for example.

No. Wrong.

There is nothing saying that the content of atom:content MAY be a
text node. It MAY only be a child element.

If there is no child element, @src must be set, ie the XML
document constituting the content is external to the feed.

I will say, though, the the spec could stand to be more explicit
in this instance.

Aristotle