The best solution is just to add a link types to the atom syntax: a link to the previous feed document that points to the next bunch of entries. IE. do what web sites do. If you can't find your answer on the first page, go look at the next page.

How do you know when to stop? If the pages are ordered chronologically, the client will know to stop when he has come to a page with entries with update times before the date he last looked.

This is:

    - simple,
    - easy to see (no need to look at invisible header fields),
- easy to understand (no need to read another complicated rfc document)
    - easy to implement (well it so simple)
- low tech (you don't need anything more than a server supporting http)

Henry