On 17 Jun 2005, at 6:14 pm, Tim Bray wrote:

Uh, has Mark spotted a dumb bug here that we should fix? Do we care if *remote* content is of a composite MIME type? My feeling was that we ruled out composite types in *local* content, for fairly obvious reasons. The fix is obvious, in 4.1.3.1

I don't think it's a dumb bug. A composite type is more than a single piece of content. Using atom:content this way is wrong, since conceptually it produces this:

<atom:entry>
  <atom:title>Message Subject<atom:title>
  <atom:author><atom:name>An author</atom:name></atom:author>
  <atom:content>
<!-- Translating the email headers to Atom -->
    <atom:title>Message Subject<atom:title>
    <atom:author><atom:name>An author</atom:name></atom:author>
    <atom:content>Message body</atom:content>
  </atom:content>
</atom:entry>

The better way to do this is to use <atom:link rel="alternate"> to reference the messages.

-1 to the proposal, at least for this use case.

Graham