OK, so given the arguments I previously posted in my response to Dan + the assertion that digitally signing individual entries will be necessary, the only real possible solution would be to come up with a canonicalization scheme for digitally signed Atom entries. When applied to an entry, the scheme would transform the entry into what is effectively a standalone Atom Entry Document with a source and author elements included and all necessary namespace declarations.

For example, given the following:

 <feed xmlns:xhtml="..." xmlns="...">
    <author>...</author>
    <entry>
      <id>...</id>
    </entry>
 </feed>

The canonicalized version of the entry would look something like:

<entry xmlns="..." xmlns:xhtml="...">
  <id>...</id>
  <source>
     <author>...</author>
  </source>
</entry>

The digital signature would then be calculated over the canonicalized entry.
What else would the canonicalization scheme have to do?

- James

Bob Wyman wrote:

James M Snell wrote:

Question: should we only allow signing of the entire document or are there valid use cases for allowing each individual entry in the feed to be individually signed?

We definitely need to be able to sign each entry. This is necessary so that we can passed signed content in aggregated feeds. The mere act of aggregation should not force a signature to be removed from an item. (Note: Signed entries really *must* include source elements. Otherwise, aggregators will be forced to strip off the signatures in order to insert the source elements.)

       bob wyman