Dave Pawson wrote:
> Any one site could now have n instances, each being a feed, the only
> variant (apart from entries) being the links to previous feeds.
> If I'm to say *this* is my feed, I guess I point to the most recent...
> which will change over time?
>
> With the example of 15 entries per,
>
> feed1 1..15
> feed4 45..60
>
> my 'feed' for my site rolls over from feed1...n as time progresses?

I guess the answer is:
http://example.com/latest is your feed, e.g. containing the latest 10 entries
http://example.com/archive-1 through n are your "archive" feeds.

"latest" is likely to contain entries which are also "archived" in
"archive-n", but I don't see it as a problem (and it doesn't violate Atom
Feed Document rules wrt uniqueness of entries), at most I will retrieve 14
entries (if using 15 entries per "archive feed document") which I already
got from the "live" feed.

You can see "latest" as an Atom alternate for your home page (or latest
news page) and "archive-1" through "archive-n" as Atom alternates for your
"archive" pages.

What I'm wondering is, if I had "archive feeds" on a per-day basis
(instead of "N entries per archive feed", although what follows also
applies) and say I published 3 entries yesterday, 5 entries the day before
and no entry yet today:
 - http://example.net/archive/2005/06/27: 5 entries
 - http://example.net/archive/2005/06/28: 3 entries
 - http://example.net/archive/2005/06/29: doesn't exist yet
Say I'm having a "live feed" showing the latest 5 entries: it will contain
all the 3 yesterday entries and the 2 latest entries from 2005/06/27.
Could I "prev"-link to "archive/2005/06/28" or should I try to figure out
the "archive feed" containing the "previous to earliest" entry (here,
"archive/2005/06/27", but it could have been "archive/2005/06/25" if I had
only 2 entries last monday and not at all on sunday) ?
If I can just link to the "latest archive feed document", shouldn't we
then just have an "archive" [EMAIL PROTECTED] in the "live feeds" (similar to
the
"List-Archive" header in mail messages) and use "prev" only between
"archive feed documents" (similar to the "Next Page" link in the HTML list
archive).

--
Thomas Broyer