On 8/4/05, Sam Ruby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I believe that the term "content" is open to intelligent dispute.
> Apparently the authors of RFC3470/BCP70 believe so too.

Agree.

> I won't dispute your read on the consensus of the working group

Agree.

> but I
> would like to request that *SOME* language be present in the spec that
> makes this clear.

Agree.

I'll also note that this requirement has basically zero value for a
desktop aggragator. I have only written three or four Atom parsers,
but I think the approach that has the best mix of performance and
correctness is one where SAX events are treated as input events for a
scanner-like state machine. Leading and trailing whitespace input for
these fields should be discarded by a robust scanner, and doing so
proposes no risk to compliant feeds, unlike guessing the "true
meaning" of an ampersand in an RSS feed. So, it will be my
recommendation to ignore this MUST-level requirement of the Atom spec
in any consumer aggregator that I contribute to. I think it might be
useful as bozo filter in an Atom protocol server, because the lazy
thing for client implementors to do is find a decent serialization
library. The lazy thing for publishers to do is concatenate strings in
their loosely-typed language of choice.

Robert Sayre