Tim Bray wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2005, at 1:04 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Tim Bray wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting increasingly grumpy and "just fail" is looking better and
>>> better.  The current normative text, "The element's content MUST  be  an
>>> IRI", is clear and simple and supported by other well-understood
>>> normative text, supported by lots of interoperable software, that   make
>>> the meanings of "element", "content", and "IRI" not really open  to
>>> intelligent dispute.  I claim that text enjoyed strong, not rough,
>>> consensus support from the WG.
>>
>> I believe that the term "content" is open to intelligent dispute.
>> Apparently the authors of RFC3470/BCP70 believe so too.
>
> Could you reference that?  It seems to me that the guidance we should
> take from 3470 is from section 4.16, which seems to me to make it  clear
> that *we* should make it clear that
>
> <id>
>  http://example.com/foo
> </id>
>
> is an error and nothing but an error. -Tim

My point was simply that *we* should make it clear.  Either of the texts
that Rob proposed [1] is sufficient for my purposes.

You appear to have a strong preference for #2, and a strong aversion to
#1.  I haven't heard anybody opposed to #2.  This seems to me to be to
be a sufficient basis for the chairs to declare (re-affirm?) consensus
on this matter.

If either is adopted, I will simply add a slew of tests to [2], ensure
that they pass, and commit the change.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg16616.html
[2] http://feedvalidator.org/testcases/atom/2/