I agree. It would be useful to work on placing a little bit more weight on the rel relation rather than putting everything on the mime type. After all if every link is going to be an "alternate" relation, then what was the point of the rel="..." attribute? We might as well have stuck with simple <a href=""> anchors.

I think there is still time to put forward a number of simple relations such as "feed", "entry" or even "service" or "collection". This could be really useful distinctions.

Henry