On Dec 6, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Jan Algermissen wrote:
Following a link is not the same thing as subscribing to something. The act of subscribing is a local activity performed by the user agent. What you do when you follow the link to a feed is a GET. Your agent then decides if subscribing to that resource is a good idea. To make that decision, the agent has to look at the representation and the it is insignificant overhead to see if the thing returnes <feed> or <entry>.

Maybe I want to monitor a single media resource; an Atom media entry would be an ideal thing to do so (I'd rather look at the meta data than at the media resource upon each poll).

I'd say: stick with the one media type that is currently there - there is no problem, just misconception about what it means to subscribe.

A few reasons why a user agent might want to be able to tell the difference between a link to a feed and a link to an entry beforehand is in order to:

1) be able to ignore the link to the entry (ie. not present it to the user) if the user agent doesn't handle entry documents (rather than presenting it as a "subscribe" link, only to have to say "sorry, it's not a feed" after the user tries to subscribe).

2) be able to say "subscribe" to links to feeds, and "monitor" links to entries (the user may not be interested in monitoring a single entry for changes--if they can't tell that that's what the link is for, they may end up needlessly doing so but think that they've added another feed to their subscription list).