There is, I think, a compromise position here which will avoid breaking
those existing implementations which follow the existing RFC's.

1) Define ;type=feed and ;type=entry as optional parameters. (i.e. get them
defined, registered, and "ready to use.")
2) Leave RFC4287 unchanged. i.e. do NOT re-define "application/atom-xml"
3) New specifications MAY require that ;type=entry be used. (Note: Just
because ;type=entry is used DOES NOT imply that ;type=feed must also be
used....)

Thus, APP would accept application/atom+xml when looking for a feed but
might insist that entries be explicitly identified with a disambiguating
type parameter. Thus, no code which currently uses "application/atom+xml" to
designate a feed would be broken. Additionally, any code which is "properly"
built and thus ignores unknown types will not be hurt when it sees
"application/atom+xml;type=entry" since it will ignore the type parameter
and dig around inside the data to figure out if it is feed or entry. The
only code which will be hurt is some potential code that does not follow the
existing RFCs for Atom or mime types. It is, I think, OK to occasionally
break code that doesn't follow the specs.

Whatever the technical arguments may be, I believe it is important from a
"political" point of view that we do not change the definition of things
defined in Atom. I am all for extending Atom, but not for changing Atom. We
must not change the exiting specification unless there is some really
serious harm being done. If we do, we risk losing the trust of at least some
members of the community that we've built these last few years... Folk will
remember that one of the "advantages" that is claimed for RSS is that it has
been declared to be eternally free from modification. While I personally
believe that that is silly, the proponents of RSS do have a point when they
speak of the value of stable specs. If we allow the Atom spec to be
*changed* so soon after it was accepted and we don't have a really, really
good reason for doing it, we will simply have proven the often made claim
that standards groups simply can't be trusted with important specifications.
We will be encouraging more of the kind of "standards making" that resulted
in the mess that is RSS...

bob wyman

PS: Since Kyle points out that GData, a Google product, is potentially
impacted by the results of this discussion, I should state that I currently
work for Google -- although I am not currently assigned to any product or
project that has a direct interest in the definition of Atom, APP, etc... My
participation in this discussion, at this time, is driven purely by personal
interest.