If it's well-formed XML then I'd think dropping it into atom:content
using type="application/xml" would be acceptable.  You'd just end up
losing that bit of semantic metadata that tells you exactly what kind of
XML it is.  If you want to use the text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML media type to
identify the type of XML, then you'd have to escape the markup and treat
it like text.  If the NewsML folks want to be able to use a proper media
type to identify their stuff AND treat it as XML, they should come up
with an appropriate media type registration (e.g.
application/newsml+xml, etc).

- James