James M Snell wrote:
Ahhh... a slight ambiguity presents itself.  The treatment of text/
types in RFC 4287 is a bit underspecified.  I've always worked off the
assumption that text/* types do not require base64 encoding (that's what
Abdera expects).

On second read, JamesH is right (as were you, originally); I was wrong.

I don't see the ambiguity.

- James

James Holderness wrote:
Sam Ruby wrote:
James M Snell wrote:
If you want to use the text/vnd.IPTC.NewsML media type to
identify the type of XML, then you'd have to escape the markup and treat
it like text.
s/escape/Base64/
s/like text/as binary/
Are you sure? From RFC 4287, section 4.1.3.3:

5.  If the value of "type" begins with "text/" (case insensitive), the
content of atom:content MUST NOT contain child elements.
6.  For all other values of "type", the content of atom:content MUST be
a valid Base64 encoding, as described in [RFC3548], section 3.

In this case the type begins with "text/" so surely rule 5 applies, not
rule 6.

Regards
James