On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 08:43:39AM -0500, Bob Tennent wrote:
>  >|> Has anybody else had this problem on EL6 systems? It started in
>  >|> vlc-1.1.12-73 and is still there in vlc-1.1.13-74. The preceding
>  >|> version, vlc-1.1.11-72 is okay.  Other sound applications
>  >|> (alsaplayer for example) are fine.
>  >|
>  >|So, the sound output is affected only, not video? Do you have an
>  >|example file one could download to reporduce the regression? Thanks!
>
> *All* audio output, including mp3s, shoutcast streaming, and the audio
> component of, say, an avi file.  So I don't see how sending an "example"
> would help.  Or did you want me to record the distorted output?

OK, sorry, I thought it was on selected input files only, I wasn't
trying to get your mp3 and avi collection. :)

> I didn't report this as a bug because it's almost certainly some problem
> with *my* systems (three of them!); otherwise you'd have been flooded
> with complaints. But if there's any user with the same symptoms we could
> try and determine what we have in common.

Three systems? It's extremely reproducable - I wonder what these
systems have in common other system don't have at all. Same audio
hardware maybe? Otherwise it must be some configuration part that is
the same on all.

If you have the luxury of reinstalling one, I would have a vanilla
system w/o any modifications (other that allowing networking) and then
install just vlc (and the dependencies that yum picks for you
automatically) on top of it. If the audio output is OK, then proceed
with the next step you would usually do to install one of these three
systems and check the sound output again. At the end you either have a
working system (but no clue why it was once broken), or better the
audio will break at one step and you will know what is ruining the
audio experience on the other two systems.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net