On 13/02/12 11:30, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Bob Tennent <rdtenn...@gmail.com
<mailto:rdtenn...@gmail.com>> wrote:

     >|Most probaby the relevant files are under ~/.config, ~/.local and
     >|~/.cache. Paulos suggestion is very good, creating a new user with a
     >|default config takes only half a minute, so testing whether the issue
     >|is in the user configuration part can be tested very quickly.

    Done; a brand new user has the same distortion.

    But I've just noticed syslog messages of the form

      pulseaudio[3805]: ratelimit.c: 7738 events suppressed

    generated every 5 seconds when vlc-1.1.13 is outputing audio; vlc-1.1.11
    outputs one such message when it starts and then no more.

I would try changing the audio output in vlc:

1) set explicitly to pulseaudio (not default)
2) set to alsa

Maybe this changes something ...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Maybe this is related in some way to what I see on my SL6/KDE laptop. During boot I get a 'Notification from Phonon' that my audio device does not work and it's falling back to pulse server. After that, sound, through the headphone socket to a stereo system, is fine in both Myth and vlc. Then, when I shutdown, the system shutdown sound sounds as if it's coming through a chopper.

lspci shows:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

John P