Paul, you should never upgrade (rpm -U) the kernel.  Should you always
install (rpm -i) it.  Yum knows this and it should have installed the
updated kernel alongside the currently-running one.  This allows you to
fall back to a known-working kernel should your update fail.

Are you sure the old kernel is gone?  You should be able to edit grub.conf
and tell it to boot the previous kernel where the nvidia kmod still exists.

rpm -q kernel should list two or three kernels on a default Fedora install
(once you've performed updates a few times).

/Brian/