On 6/5/2015 8:33 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

On 6/4/2015 9:10 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

Argh... still no output from ir-keytable.

$ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc4/ (/dev/input/event14) with:
        Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC
        Enabled protocols: RC-6
        Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
        bus: 3, vendor/product: 0471:0815, version: 0x0000
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 33 ms

$ir-keytable -t -d /dev/input/event14
Testing events. Please, press CTRL-C to abort.
^C

ir-keytable -r -d /dev/input/event14
Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC RC-5-SZ SHARP MCE_KBD XMP

I have the devinput config file in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.

After all that hassle I think this just boils down to a problem with the remote configuration file I was using. I used irrecord to start a partial config file and viola! irw produces output:

0000000000000001 00 BTN_SELECT recorded.conf
0000000000000001 00 BTN_SELECT recorded.conf
0000000000000002 00 BTN_RIGHT recorded.conf
0000000000000002 00 BTN_RIGHT recorded.conf
0000000000000002 00 BTN_RIGHT recorded.conf
0000000000000003 00 BTN_LEFT recorded.conf

Note that I did this after *undoing* the devinput configuration:

LIRC_DRIVER=""
LIRC_DEVICE=""

Now the configuration I have been using for *years* is a Scientific Atlanta 3250. Now there *is* a configuration in the database for this remote but it doesn't appear to work with LIRC 0.9.0. Seems like everything in the database has been generated well before 0.8.6.

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/scientific_atlanta/3250

So the /dev/lirc0 interface is working. What was not working was my remote configuration from 0.8.7.

This is a remote that I could use with a cheap programmable remote *and* that had the A, B, C, D buttons I've come to depend on. I copied the base config and it caused errors on loading requiring the removal of the TV/VCR section.

So I either need to pick a new remote that is both programmable on my physical remote and has A, B, C, D buttons or I need to irrecord a new setup off of the generic RC-5 configuration.

Yup, it did boil down to my remote configuration file. My physical remote was programmable as an MCE remote. I swapped in the mceusb configuration file and everything is now just working.

irw:
000000037ff07bdf 00 KEY_LEFT mceusb
000000037ff07bdf 01 KEY_LEFT mceusb
000000037ff07bdf 02 KEY_LEFT mceusb
000000037ff07bdd 00 KEY_OK mceusb
000000037ff07bdd 01 KEY_OK mceusb
000000037ff07bdd 02 KEY_OK mceusb
000000037ff07bde 00 KEY_RIGHT mceusb
000000037ff07bde 01 KEY_RIGHT mceusb
000000037ff07bde 02 KEY_RIGHT mceusb

I spent some time editing ~/.mythtv/lircrc for Myth and ~/.lircrc for mplayer putting in all the new namespace strings and everything is just working. Yay!

A user on the mythtv-users list stated the older configuration files are compatible. Clearly this is not the case. I even tried directly using the Scientific Atlanta file without changes. It generated an error on the first section of the file. And obviously the rest of it just wasn't working.

I think sticking to the files in the lirc-remotes-0.9.0 package will be safer. And anything in the online database will require lots of testing.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.