I was planning on installing Linux on my AppleTV 40gb shortly. Now I
know some linux and can do a few of the basic commands. So what I want
to know before getting started is:

 I plan on following these directions word or word. Is there anything
im missing or should look out for?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_install_a_Miminal_Ubuntu_and_XBMC_with_sound_over_HDMI_on_the_AppleTV

Does HDMI work properly?

The instructions say to use a USB keyboard, can it be a wireless
keyboard/mouse combo? I dont have anything that hardwired anymore.

If I do the backup that is talks about in the directions, will I be
able to restore the original settings down the road?

Thanks in advance, im excited to get started and a little nervous at
the same time