Ok so I already have a quick question, not sure if it really matters
or not. I am in the backup steps, i know i know :)

# Make a tar of all files on the "Recovery" partition
cd src
tar cf ../dst/backup.tar *
cd ..
# force a disk buffer flush
sync

umount src dst
rmdir src dst

The directions above have me spit out a TAR into /dst. then it wants
me to delete the dst which contains the TAR file. Isnt that removing
my backup.tar file that I need to keep?

src and dst are mount points. you make directories

mkdir src dst

then mount the disk partition to the mount point. Then you can copy the contents of src to dst. Once you unmount the disk partitions, then "rmdir src dst" is removing the mount points.

Also when I tried to unmount src dst it said that unmount was an
unkown command... not sure what the deal is there? Anyways I stopped
at this point and walked away because I wanted to verify that I was
not deleting my backup.tar file.

Not "unmount" but "umount", no "n".