Ikumi Keita <ik...@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> I attach a tentative patch to make AUCTeX major mode names not overwrap
> built-in TeX modes. In this patch, the new mode names (value of
> `major-mode') are
>  - plain-TeX-mode
>  - LaTeX-mode
>  - docTeX-mode
>  - Texinfo-mode
>  - ConTeXt-mode
>  - AmSTeX-mode
> (There are additional renamed modes
>    + japanese-plain-TeX-mode
>    + japanese-LaTeX-mode
>    + ConTeXt-en-mode
>    + ConTeXt-nl-mode
>  but they don't have their own `major-mode' value.
> The name and role of `TeX-tex-mode' doesn't change.)

Thanks for working on this, Keita.  I have to re-read the thread, but
wasn't a point also that latex-mode and LaTeX-mode are also confusing to
some users?  If so, can we think about coming up with mode names instead
of camel-case'ing the built-in ones?

> I think that its core functionality works as
> expected. If you are interested in this feature, please give it a try.
>
> 1. I'd like to push it to savannah server as a feature branch of AUCTeX
>    repository (it isn't ready to merge into master branch yet.) Do you
>    think it's OK?

Yes, please do so.

> If so, I'm not sure how to do that so I'd like to confirm.

I don't use magit, but you should be ok on command line doing:

$ git switch feature-branch-name
$ git commit
$ git push -u origin feature-branch-name

where -u is a shortcut for --set-upstream as described by Stefan.

> (By the way, I have come up with only a poor name
> "feature/distinct-mode-name". Please tell me another name if you find
> a better one.)

I think we can live with that :-)

Best, Arash