Uwe Brauer via Discussion list for AUCTeX developers <auctex-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Ok, the only scenario where that might be relevant to run make clean
> and then run is when you switch branches. To avoid this, one could try
> to checkout the two branches. (In mercurial I can checkout different
> branches in different directories using the share command, I presume
> something like this is also possible in git, I think it is called
> working directory or so).

It's called "worktree".

> How on earth do I find out the actual version of an auctex commit.
> Till 13.3 tags have been used. But now?

Well, tags have been used for tarball releases and 13.3 is still the
latest one.  So you can't say we've stopped using tags.

On main, the current version is in auctex.el's "Version:" header and the
variable AUCTeX-version shows that, too.  If you installed from
GNU-devel ELPA or run from the repository, it'll be something like
14.0.6.2024-06-30_22:58:10, i.e., version + timestamp of HEAD (where the
timestamp might actually be the build timestamp if git is not installed
or the repo is not a git repo).

Bye,
  Tassilo