Uwe Brauer <o...@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> Right, but on master, how is the version number obtained? I mean
>>> which git command (say from the command line) would provide me with
>>> 14.0.6?
>
>> The master branch doesn't know about ELPA releases at all.
>
> When I run make on master (on a repo which is under git), tex-site.el
>
> Contains  the string
>
> ,----
> | (defconst AUCTeX-version "14.0.6.2024-06-30_22:58:10"
> |   "AUCTeX version.
> | If not a regular release, the date of the last change.")
> `----

Can that be a leftover from somewhen you've switched to main?  Date with
time has never been used somewhere except on the main branch.  Or maybe
you have checked out origin/main as master and now are confused?  git
branch -vv will tell you.

When I run ./configure and make on master, AUCTEX-version is
"2024-07-10" just like AUCTEX-date which is the date of the last commit
on master.

Bye,
  Tassilo