Tassilo Horn <t...@gnu.org> writes:

> Arash Esbati <ar...@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> See (info "(emacs) Package Files"):
>>>
>>>    In addition to ‘package-user-dir’, Emacs looks for installed
>>> packages in the directories listed in ‘package-directory-list’.
>>> These directories are meant for system administrators to make Emacs
>>> packages available system-wide; Emacs itself never installs packages
>>> there.  The package subdirectories for ‘package-directory-list’ are
>>> laid out in the same way as in ‘package-user-dir’.
>>
>> What does the above mean in practical terms?  I don't see how one can
>> say: Emacs, please install this auctex-from-elpa.tar under
>> `package-directory-list'.  So a downstream distro manager has to
>> install AUCTeX from ELPA locally, and then repack that installation
>> and distribute it for pure unpacking in `package-directory-list'?
>
> Yes, that's what I would assume, too.  And that's what packagers already
> do, right?  The difference is just that previously the package went into
> ../site-lisp/auctex/ and the packager had to add code so that the
> packages below ../site-lisp/ were added to load-path and now into
> ../site-lisp/elpa/auctex/ and the usual ELPA semantics apply.  I would
> say it's now easier for packagers.

IIUC, we have only "YES" answers for switching to ELPA releases and I
don't see any reason to wait longer.  Tassilo, since you're a more
versed Git user than me, do you want to make this change?  I.e., rename
the current master to 'auctex-13' (or anything else you think fits
better) and change the default to main?

TIA.  Best, Arash