Re: a quick question about copyrighted materials in non-commercial product

Gpl is a bad choice.  If I use anything released under the gpl, my software must perforce be gpl or a gpl compatible license, all of which are at least as restrictive in terms of commercial/closed source.  I can think of at least one case in which the Gpl wouldn't work for a free game: when said free game has online components.  If you go down the gpl road, beware; I ended up making Camlorn_audio one of the BSD variants for this reason.