Re: Let's really dig in to Tolkiin and Lord of the Rings,

@Dark abomination,  interestin in tom being a native, though a lot of that speech does make it into the final lotr apart from the abo bit.

I'm not convinced about the flame imperishable theory however, since the basic idea of the flame imperishable is distinguishing thought and form within time from action, thus it leads back to some quite exclusively christian and distinctly catholic concepts, since it's the idea of the world as a changeable existance within time, as opposed to the static, eternal existance of God, yet at the same time it's the idea that the world within it's temporal framework has an intrinsically eternal and changeless nature, ---- I actually wonder if Lewis' concept of the great dance was involved with that idea.

For all those reasons while I am fairly convinced Bombadil is some sort of emboddiment of Arda itself, the idea that he could literally be the power which distinguishes arda from that which is changeless and yet also makes it have an immortal existance is a little less credible.

The treebeerd idea I do like however, it is quite possible given that we know Yivana created the trees and plants quite a long time before other beings, and if Treebeerd was indeed a tree herd for those first trees then he could well be the oldest being on Arda apart from arguably the actual Maia and valar themselves, though even that is debatable depending upon how you believe time exists in "the void" from which Morgoth and all his pals came.