Re: Let's really dig in to Tolkiin and Lord of the Rings,

Argh, Arq, you posted while I was posting, lol.

I think the thing to bear in mind with The Hobbit, in general, is that it's misnamed. It should be called "The Hobbit, and Other Things Going On Before Lord of the Rings." I actually really like the Necromancer subplot, as it lends more continuity between The Hobbit and LotR. It reminds you, "Oh yeah - this really is the same story. The things happening now are relevant to, and lead to, the War of the Ring." It's like a chilly breeze that blows in just often enough to remind you that winter is coming. And I am personally very much looking forward to Gandalf's infiltration of Dol Guldur and eventual confrontation with the Necromancer. Gotta drive him out so he can set up shop in Barad-dur, after all. big_smile

And I do think that the Hobbit has a much lighter, more fantasy, children's-boo k tone than Lord of the Rings. In fact, I think that's one reason that some people responded poorly to it - they were expecting a total clone of LotR. But inclusion of aspects like the Necromancer plot remind the viewer that the darkness that has come to the forefront in the Lord of the Rings is already present and active in this trilogy's world.