Re: Grendal's Cave

Well Angband has hp, but it's got some pretty extreme situations that will! kill you fiarly quickly, for instance running into a paralysis jelly and not having anti paralysis gear, or running into something that smacks you with n element or a curse your not resistant to (since in angband elements can do as much as four times normal damage), indeed this is usually how most people die on Angband, they're fine for a few floors then bang!

In fairness with angband you can either A, use the cheat option, B, keep a backup of your save files or even C, hack the characters.txt file to build a super awsome character of doom! big_smile, so not too bad.

A good example in this that everyone has played is Kerkerkruip, which actually does use much of the rules of a roguelike, though of course kerkerkruip isn't really long enough for you to lose more than about an hour on a game, ---- possibly if it becomes longer there might have to be an easy option.

I can't judge grendle's cave though, not unless I manage to get that peace of rubbish known as firefox to behave, which it refuses to do (why so many people like the thing I don't know, frankly it's miles more unstable than ie, not to mention a real memory hog from what I've seen).

Regarding Kodp, to be honest I don't agree about that being perminant death in the same way, since from what I've gathered, --- and I'm no expert, forming a tribe is heavily based on what you did in the game earlier and how well your regarded.

Kodp is quite literally an interactive story, and follows those rules more than the rules of an rpg. Oh yes, you can get yourself beaten up, lose people or bugger up your crop schedule, but you won't win the game by having the best stats in all of those things, those are only maintainence..

Unless you've been generous, made peace, took note of the story and the relations of the other clans to you, your not going to get far and that's that, indeed I rather love the way the tribe simulates  real political discussion and compromise with each clan having their demands and you get to choose how many you exceed to.