Re: A wonderful issue with Windows

Hi,
A quick way to take ownership of files is to download a registry entry which puts a "take ownership" item in the context menu. It works on files and folders. It does all the complicated work for you and leaves you with full priveleges over the file. The system can do nothing to stop you at that point.
I don't remember where to find this magic registry entry, but if you google "take ownership registry" it should easily find it. Just run the .reg file and it installs the take ownership option in the context menu. No rebooting required either.
Also, you can uninstall the take ownership entry from the registry with another reg file, which you should find in the same place. Obviously it doesn't kill any rights you have over existing files, but it does remove the take ownership option from the context menu.
There is also a way to reassign ownership back to the system, which I would recommend doing after you're done messing with things, but it's not as simple as a registry entry that does it all for you. I bet someone could make one for that, but for now, the way to get ownership back to the system is by reassigning the ownership. The ownership settings are under permissions in the properties dialog. Unfortunately, you have to remember the name of the service that protects system files. I can't remember what it is, but you have to type the name manually because it won't be in the list of owners. I've only had to do it once, so I can't remember the exact steps, but I'm sure instructions on how to do it are out there. I had to use instructions myself when I did it, so I know a bit of searching will guide you.
I hope this helps... and good luck with the computer!