Re: A very interesting point my dad and I came upon

Hi all.
Interesting discussion.
Well, this post got much longer than I thought it would be, but I hope at leased someone is willing to read it. smile I'm sorry if some of it sounds harsh, that's not my point. My point is to explain how things works, and to explain why I think some of the things which have been said here is either wrong or doesn't make sense to me.

Saying that Windows is more userfriendly than Mac is only said by people who don't have much experiences on using a Mac. smile Here are some examples:
How do you attach a file to a mail? You go to the menubar and search for the attach file item. No, way! Why waist your time on doing that? No, you go to your file explore, find the file, copy with command c, go back to your mail and simply paste your file by pressing command v. The same goes for every program you wanna import any kind of data or file into. Just copy it. smile
the folder structure in the OS is very different, but on the Mac, it also makes sense. We can take the root folders as an example: Applications, well that folder speaks for itself. Users: Well, do I need to explain what you'll find there? System, well, the whole operating system. Library, well libararies for some standard applications. And, that's mostly it! What do we have in Windows? Lots and lots and lots and lots of random stuff from programs which creates their own folders everywhere on the harddrives. Just, because they are allowed to. On the mac, programs are only allowed to create folders 3, maybe 4 places: In the applications folder, in the Library folder, in the users folder and in your documents folder if needed. That's mostly it, whi ch means you know where to look if you needs to remove something manually, which is a paine in Windows.
I would like to know what people find complicated to do on a Mac, and why people are saying that Windows is more userfriendly. Okay, I'm not a fan of iTunes, and I'm avoiding it accept for buying music which works so well that you'll never imagine it. For syncing to your phone, iTunes sucks, mainly if you don't want iTunes to mess around with your music. I won't, so for that reason I don't use it. But for people who don't care, it works really great. Podcasting, well, go away. I don't want a podcasting client which changes the filenames when I download them. smile Internet radio, yeah, works fine, but I would like to add my own stations as well. Tv shows, well, not that many in my country. Audiobooks, well, works fine, but again, iTunes is messi ng with your files! Cd ripping, well, works most of the times.
@Dark: There is a big difference between IOS and Mac OSX. IOS is a closed operating system and Mac OSX is not. So mainly for that reason and a ton of other reasons, you can't compare IOS with Mac OSX. I do see where you're comming from though.

Kyleman123 wrote:

also to add to that. interacting is one of the most stupidest things someone has ever ever invented.  yeah, it clutters the screne, but on windows i can just easily skip over that clutter with one key.  on mack. it will take you 4 keys to do that same one key press.  this sums up a lot of stuff i feel for mac verses windows.  but one thing i am suprised hasn't gotten brought up is IOS verses Android.

that's truely said from someone who don't understand how interacting works. smile
you have to remember that you can either choose to use the VO cursor like the Jaws cursor or whatever virtual cursor you're using in Windows. Then you can choose to use the standard Mac OSX commands, just like the standard Windows commands. So, lets compare the Jaws cursor to the VO cursor:
The Jaws cursor reads everything across the whole screen, just as it's shown visually. It will only makes sense if you read it word by word, otherwise, it just reads multiple icons at once, and mess up the layout in my point of view.
the Voiceover cursor split it all up in groups, and that's the whole point of interacting. I do understand why people think it's crab if they don't understand how interacting works, so I'll do what I can to explain it:
Let's take the mail program as an example:
At the top, we have the toolbar. Most Windows users doesn't care about the toolbar, because most screenreaders doesn't play nicely with those. That's not the case with VO, but that's an other subject. When navigating to the toolbar, VOiceover just says "toolbar." Then, you have two options: 1: Interact with the toolbar, and 2: move on if you don't need the toolbar. What does the Jaws cursor do? It reads the whole toolbar!
If you interact with the toolbar, you have locked yourself in that persission. That means the only thing which can get you out of the toolbar is if you stop interacting. Why does that makes sense? Because you have interacted with the toolbar, because it's the toolbar you wanna work with, and for that reason, all other items on the screen is not important at this moment.
We can continue to the table which contains the folders. Voiceover announce "table," and the selected folder. What would the Jaws cursor do? Read all the folders, because they are shown on the screen. You can then choose to move on when us ing the VO cursor, or, interact if you want to switch folder. So you're getting a group you can work with, or just move on if that's not what you want.
If we move on, we have the table with the mails in the selected folder. Again, VOiceover announce messages table, and, again, you can just move on to the icons at the bottom of the screen.
My point is to show you how easily you can navigate through a big window inn the mail program, and to show you the logic behind interacting and how it works. So, in other words, interacting is like choosing an item from a menu, and only concentrate on the chosen item. Remember, you can still use tab or shift tab to move between the folders table and the messages table, so you can still navigate as quick as you can in Windows. smile
Oh, I nearly forgot: You can use all the html commands in Voiceover in programs which have html like i Tunes. Voiceover knows when it's html and when it's not, which some screenreaders in Windows is having issues with.

Kyle12: Why not use Skype on your Mac when it's more accessible out of the box? smile

Having said all that crab, it just comes to personal choices. Windows works for some people, Linux for some and Macs for others. The only bad thing is when people are complaining about stuff they don't have experiences in. The most important thing is that people is happy with the computer they're using. My advice is: If you're starting to dislike your operating system and starting to complain more and more about it, then consider switching. The great thing about accessibility is that now, we have the choice to switch. Now, we can choose what operating system we wanna use, just like sighted people, which is awesome! The worst thing ever is when people a re complaining all day about their computers, and don't wanna switch. It's like they don't wanna do something about it but just wanna complain! smile
Well, more than enough rambeling from me, I think.