Re: A very interesting point my dad and I came upon

There is exactly one thing that keeps PCs over Macs: they're cheap and cheerful. The entire computer industry's success can be essentially characterised as: capture the hearts and minds of developers everywhere, and keep them on our platform by means of exclusivity. Since IBM handed Microsoft the software part of that bargain, they've been a monopoly. And the hardware has been cloned to open specifications which has ensured that the prices have been competitively (and, in my opinion, much to the customer's disadvantage) lowered wherever and whenever possible. The only good thing to come out of that has been Linux and Open Source, but as things stand the Microsoft Tax is still part of almost every computer anybody will ever buy.

The idea that Macs are for media people (the so-called "Coloured crayon" departments of the world) was once true but is gradually being undermined by Apple's insistence on bringing Macs into line with their smartphon es and tablets. It still occurs, although not without significant competition and enticements from the dark side. The flip side of that, though, is that Apple has been attracting more of its iOS-using customers over to the Mac, with promises of peace and happiness, and indeed many people, from the beginner to the power-user, are finding this to be a good proposition. OS X is easy to use and understand, is attractive (for sighted people) and there is more than enough software to appease most users, with more arriving now that Apple is taking a more prominant (but still minority) role.

Of course, none of this is relevant any more, because the market no longer consists of Microsoft, who are only in business because they have developed a mature ecosystem; the number of reasons to favour Microsoft are being diminished by people who are unhappy being dependent on a PC platform when their tablets and smartphones do all that they require, at home and in business. So Microsoft is incre asingly (and, I think, ironically) getting a taste of their own medicine as all of the innovation is happening without them, at their own expense, and at no loss to consumers. And I have to smile. smile

Cheers,

Sabahattin