Re: I demand change, starting with, a petition

@Dark: Honestly, I'd pay more if--and this is a big if--I actually got a corresponding increase in service. Incompetence seems to be the hallmark of BT (we are a lot better off than countries including the US, it's true, but not by much IMO) but yes, if it's still BT no matter what you do, and BT are already racing very close to the bottom, and are still having to throw in extras just to keep people happy, well, why not take the hit on customer service? As I said there are some terrific guys out there (AAISP is my dream ISP) but their prices do not justify what they offer, for the simple reason that it's the exact same network that BT uses. In effect, BT have set the worst possible example, and the only possible example. And the speeds (80/20, same as you by the sounds of it) really aren't going to be any better unless BT changes something.

I would, personally, encourage you to experiment with BitTorrent if you're up to that sort of thing (Linux ISOs, promise, God's honour), to see what your real theoretical speeds are. There's really nothing quite like receiving a gigabyte file in under two minutes at 8.6 MB/s (68.8 mbit/sec) and still having capacity left over. For this sort of thing, you may need to upgrade the router BT give you, and there nice privacy benefits to doing so as well. My recommendation is Apple AirPort (there's an iPhone app to configure).