Re: New GPlus Acccessibility Community, Now Open!

Since Trenton decided to discriminate against us JAWS user by not including key stroke instructions for it, I will.

If you turn it on, JAWS can detect web application keystrokes and use them instead of the normal quick navigation keys. The nice thing about this feature is that the quick navigation keys that aren't replaced by a web application keystroke, still perform their usual quick navigation function.

This feature is off by default, but I have it on for all applications, that way whenever there are web application keystrokes, I can use them without having to change anything. But you can also turn the feature on for only your web browser, or even only for a specific domain.

The feature is called Allow Web Application Reserved Keystrokes. To find it, go into the Setting Center, JAWS key + 6, be sure to set the application drop down to indicate where you want this feature active. Then in the setting list, go to, Web/HTML/PDFs, then to Miscellaneous, then t o Allow Web Application Reserved Keystrokes, and turn it on. Don't forget to save your changes.

Alternatively, you can use the above technique to turn off the navigation quick keys if you prefer. In the settings list go to, Keyboard, then to General, and to the setting Navigation Quick Keys, and turn it off. Again don't forget to use the application drop down to set where you want the setting to take effect and also, don't forget to save your changes.

While you are in your browser, you can also use the quick setting, JAWS key + V, be aware the quick settings work at the application level, if you want to make the change global or only for a specific domain, you have to use the settings center instead.

Unfortunatly, there doesn't appear to be any hot keys defined to toggle either of these options on or off, but with the Allow Web Application Reserved Keystrokes on for all applications, I've found I don't need to toggle anything.