Re: Where do you get your music?

@Figment, first, the Victor stream has a 32 gb sd card. You could use a 64 gb one, however last I heard the victor's software went a bit screwy, which I agree isn't good, though this could well be fixed now, (I did buy my Victor a year ago and the software has had some updates sinse).

Personally, sinse I use my victor for books, audio dramas  and music, i just have the 32 gb and alternate what I stick on their very often, as opposed to hauling my hole collection around with me.

About playlists, to be honest if your wanting playlists to just play several organized folders, I don't think you need that either for the Victor, or for a semi decent media player such as winamp, sinse the "play folder" option will also play subfolders by folder name.

So for example I also have the starwars film soundtracks and want them in order, in either Winamp or my Victor, if I play my entire "starwars folder" because i have the subfolders for each film labled as "04 A new hope", "05 Empire strikes back" and "06 return of the Jedi" I'll get the hole lot in order, ditto with the subfolders for each disc, indeed this is always a part of how I organize my folders sinse I always make sure they're named so as to play an entire directory in order.

In Winamp you do this with Shift L and then navigating to the folder, on the victor you just set the level of folder navigation you want and navigate to it then start playing. The only use for playlists on the Victor is either if you have a bunch of files from different folders or subfolders you want to play, or if you want to shuffle something less than the hole collection, sinse using the shuffle function in the music directory shuffles the entire thing unless you've got a playlist.

I haven't bothered myself but according to the instructions this is how it works.

The only issue with the Victor you might have, is the Victor won't play individual files alone in either the music or book directories that are not contained in a folder, so all those individual tracks you have you might have to bung on a folder in the $music directory called favourites. I've had to do this myself occasionally, particularly when say I'm going to an audition and want just the one copy of the song I'm singing, but hay creating a folder doesn't take a long time.

As to creating playlists, as I said, it's not something I've bothered with much. Winamp will do it certainly and I did experiment, however as a program generally I can recommend Vlc media player.
I don't use any of it's audio playback functions, but sinse my desktop got reformatted and I lost the version of power Dvd I had (the current one is totally inaccessible), I switched to Vlc, and haven't been unhappy with it, though I do wish it had a dvd auto resume capability like Power dvd that would ke ep your place on a dvd when you turn it off, also for some reason I can't set any of the keyboard options so winding back is rather difficult.

@JAck, that site sounds cool!

@Sebby, Itunes and their drm can go to hell! I disagree that any program which removes the headings from the screen so you don't know what level of the smegging tree your on in windows can be called accessible. Usable possibly, but compared to just sticking my Victor in and going "copy!" it's no contest, particularly sinse I don't have to go creating playlists for individual books or sinking or scanning or any of the other silly hoops Apple demands you jump through just to essentially play music on a portable machine.

If people like the categorisation Apple uses (and are using macos anyway so get the better interface), fare enough, but having wrestled with the beast for two solid years I'll say it is not for me.

One thing I find ironic, is that i f I could just buy stuff in Itunes the same way I would from a normal site and then have the mp3s to play anywhere, I probably would! have done, however it's the very restriction of the thing that puts me off. Well, maybe if Apple opens the file system this will change, and I'd not be against using Itunes as a buying system on Ios at least so long as I could get the stuff off there and play them on whatever and wherever I wanted, though i know that is sort of against Apple's religion big_smile.

Oh, and I'll have to check this site of Jack's sinse it sounds awesome.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bucklee12 via Audiogames-reflector