Re: Where do you get your music?

@Figment,  Yep, I have always done something similar myself to that with folders anyway so translating to the victor was no problem.
I'll admit mine is a little less formal, for example I have one big directory  called film soundtracks, then folders for each film, some of which (such as Labyrinth and Never ending story), have just one folder withth the music files, others, such as Starwars or James Bond have a hole bunch of subfolders and possibly individual disc folders too, so for the Victor I just copy the folder I want and bang it on.

I actually enjoy playing around with organization, it's a bit satisfying to know what I have and be able to look at it and put where I want, for example I recently created a vocalists directory. It's also nice to select what I fancy hearing at any given time from the full collection.

For Cd ripping, that is the one thing I actually still use Windows media player for. I've set it up to rip at best q uality when I insert the disk and pop out when done, so I have no hassle, and it'll auto download the track names (though I often play with them before I move the ripp into my collection).

I did once try another utility, but I couldn't get it to work, and sinse I've got wmp setup to instantly rip and then pop out when done I don't have to tangle with the thing.

If I remember rightly the Victor stream comes with a 4gb sd card by default and you do indeed need to buy the 32 gb one as standard. Sinse you can just pop the card in and out, I have heard of people who keep multiple cards with them and change them, but I've not personally needed that much space.
Also, the default usb transfer onto the Victor when it's plugged into the pc is a trifle slower than usual. This doesn't bother me (it's not so slow as to be annoying), but again, I know people who buy those usb sd card holder thingies and use those to stick stuff onto the Vi ctor's sd card, rather than using the Victor directly via it's usb transfer cable (it works like an Iphone, the power cable has a usb that goes into the plug).

I am fairly sure I'm wrong about the voice speed on the victor not being alterable without altering playback speed, though i've looked through the menus and not found anything and whenever I hit the speed controls it seems to affect both, so let me know what you find. I'm not too unhappy with the default voice speed (it's not a complete crawl like with most default tts setups), though it would be nice if it were a bit faster.

As to Itunes vs Icloud backups, well I personally felt getting rid of Itunes was a worth while price to use the cloud for backing up phone numbers and contact info. I'd probably feel differently if I had anything amazingly sensative on there like people's addresses or any personal info, but other than phone numbers there's not much particular ly considering I don't use e-mail on my Iphone, (I have it setup but writing e-mails without my bluetooth keyboard is too much of a pain, and I don't carry the keyboard around with me), I certainly wouldn't bank on it, but I wouldn't have any bank details on my Pc either.

So, security a concern, but not enough of one to putup with the dreaded Itunes.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bucklee12 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector