Re: computer maintenance and system optimisation, I could need some help.

For Windows 7 in terms of anti virus, for real time protection, MSES, microsoft security essentials has always worked well for me, it's not the best out there but it is one of the very few accessible ones these days.
You might also try AVG Free 2015, I haven't tried that newest version yet so I don't know if the accessibility annoyances in 2014 were fixed, but it's not bad at catching things, especially this year based on the lab results, and better than MSES as well.

For system optimization, I really like CCleaner and Defraggler  from http://www.piriform.com and they are both very accessible.
You can use every feature of CCleaner safely, but you may wish to uncheck the custom files and folders and wipe free space options in the advanced section, as well as the saved passwords option in any web browsers or email clients from the applications tab.
Make sure to check out the tools section as well.

Defraggler is also safe, just make sure to use the optimize feature instead of the defragment feature if your running it on an SSD, otherwise you could decrease it's lifespan.

If you want to just do a quick scan for many of the most common viruses and malware, updated often, try McAfee Stinger from http://www.mcafee.com/ca/downloads/free … nger32.exe

You should consider trying some of the management programs that are already installed by default with Windows as well; such as services.msc, in combination with a site with a list of things that are safe to disable in your particular addition of Windows.  Black Viper and Bleeping Computer are both good choices.
Just make sure to create a system restore point and have a sighted person around for if you need them when you do anything like that.  Trust me though the rewards of freed up system resources and faster loading times are worth it.