Re: Any Good Modem Suggestions?

@Figment:

I guess that depends on what your needs are. My experience is basically the opposite, and yes I am talking about name brands. Indeed, it seems to me that pricing yourself above the name brands starts to show definite signs of improvement.

The big issue for me is DSL. In the UK, a DSL modem is also performing other functions, by necessity. This is because, in the UK, ISPs use a type of encapsulation which requires the modem also be a router. Routers, again, inevitably include wireless access points. So now you've got a device that, even if it's "prosumer" and feature-rich, compromises its functionality or performance in each area that it functions in, in order to operate as a single unit.

All of these functions can be separated, and in my home network, they presently are. This has given me absolutely rock-solid performance the whole time, because no part is compromised. If I look around, I can maybe combine the modem and router, or ro uter or access point (like Apple AirPort). If I pay real coin, I can get really great hardware that will do all three. Draytek are great there, too. However I am confident (from actual experience) that it would be only so customisable, or only so fast, or only so stable, because you're dealing with a fundamentally more complex product. So if the DSL chipset isn't up to it, or if the Wi-Fi module is crashing the low-end hardware it's running on, or if the options I need aren't in the firewall or router function, well, that's just too bad. If you split up the functions, so your router/access-point isn't affected by DSL load, or the router is completely customisable and you only need a bridging access-point, then you can go to town on your exact needs and go as fast or as stable as you want.

That's just my opinion, of course, based on my experience.