Re: Harry potter books memories from harry potter fans

@Cw, agreed. If anything the prologue comes too soon and the fact that Rowling has had to spend so much time saying what happened to most of the cast shows this. I don't dislike the prologue, but there are just far too many characters who aren't served by it, most particularly Luna, ---- as I've already said, I just don't like the hole Jinny thing at all.
Jinny at eleven having a crush on harry potter is one thing, but to grow up to be his perfect girl?  It makes me wonder if Rowling had a crush at eleven herself and still regrets not ending up with the boy in question big_smile.

@Jeffb, I'm afraid I completely disagree about the final end of deathly hallows and what happened to voldemort. You have the book's major climax in Harry's death, which is a moment I love, and the battle of Hogwarts leading up to that moment, with moving stat ues, exploding timers, and shocking amounts of character death is more than climactic enough. Harry was never going to out duel voldemort in some huge  action filled magic battle. For one thing, Harry just isn't that good at dueling (he's good, but not the level that Voldemort has given that it took a wizard like dumbledor to even fight him to a stand still), and for another more serious thing, that would give voldemort too much gravitas.

Part of the major theme Rowling runs through in the sixth and seventh books is that voldemort is actually not some huge dark lord with unimaginable power, he's still human, a fact that he himself tries to deny, witness how Dumbledor still calls him "tom" and how much it pisses him of.

Voldemort's power is all based on one thing, that voldemort thinks death is the single worst thing that can happen. When he fights, when he schemes with others, he always attempts to kill them and prolong his life, witn ess how during the duel with dumbledor he's the one chucking killing curses around.
He kills Harry, and so believes the threat is gone, not realizing that in killing Harry he's also doomed himself since he's destroyed part of himself.
In the final duel, he again just canot understand that raw magical power and the desire to kill can't get him what he wants. In his mind, he kills, so he is the most powerful, end of story. Voldemort always was! going to be killed by a rebounding curse, it's just a natural progression of where his story finishes, that he destroys himself just as he did when trying to kill Harry as a child.

While I don't like the hole "harry's wand is statted to have favoured enemy voldemort" thing, far too much of a deus ex, I can't disagree with how voldemort effectively destroys himself at the end, it just works in a way that some huge uba spell of doom or Harry simply becoming awesome and creaming vo ldemort in some sort of magical duel doesn't.