Re: Trying to Learn Chinese, At the end of my rope

When I started studying Chinese, I used Chinesepod. They were free at the time, but I remember hearing they went paid shortly after I took a break, and that was several years ago so I have no idea what's up now.
Mandarintools.com has lots of resources, though I'm not sure how useful they'd be early on. I like their character dictionary and C-E dictionaries, because they have pronunciation links, unicode for the characters, and write the tones as numbers rather than with diacritics. Also, since they have both a character dictionary and a word/idiom dictionary, it's easier to break things down into their components and understand the nuances a bit better.
There are better Chinese TTS voices out there; the defaults that comes with voiceover on iOS sounds a lot like the way the narrators talk in audio textbooks, IME.