Re: The audiogames that make you go alas!

@dalen lewin,  Which audiogames have you played? There are plenty with great sound, starting with manamon (a must play if you like rpgs), Crazy party and quite a few more.

@figment, agree especially on the wastes, though note that warsim is still in active development, I actually need to email huw and find out what's going on with both games. i'm not sure what you mean about entombed and impossible enemies though since i've finished the game up to level 25 and never found that problem, I wonder if your missing a game mechanic somewhere? eg, not using skillpoints to raise your characters skills, or not checking out if you can find better weapons and armor (the c key to compare is your friend). Still that's a matter for another topic, however Entombed is an awesome game that I'd heartily recommend to any rpg fan, despite it having it's flaws and I'll always be glad to discuss it with tips etc, indeed I need to finish the entombed player s handbook I was working on.

@Dragomeer, totally agree on perilous hearts, a dam shame we only got one level.

As to games with awesome potential that never got developed further here are some thoughts:

terraformers: some of the best atmospheric narration, great sounds and music, mechanics which definitely worked, ---- and a game which you could probably complete in the first hour! really it seems more like an extended tech demo than a game, an awesome tech demo and one with inormous potential, but why nothing more was created with the engine I don't know, particularly given it's one of the few audiogames with full and complete graphics.

Eamon deluxe: Anyone will know I'm a fan of these. Eamon was a gaming system back in the eighties which worked a little like if, but with far less of a confusing parza and more rpg like mechanics. Eamon deluxe was an awesome windows port that brought the classic eamon games to a pc, with some extra tweaks inc luding the ability to progress your character from game to game, plus updates in the game themselves by the creator.
Development was going really well, lots of classic games (about 30 in all), were converted, there was even a vi specific version and the developer was looking around for a way to make it usable on machines that couldn't run dos 16 bit applications (I think talking dosbox would've helped him a lot),  but things just stopped.
I did get an email from the creator earlier this year to say he'd done some work on the project, but I'm still not sure where things are, and it's a major shame.

Unseen the alpha missions, aka aura: I'm not sure if anyone played this, but the concept was great. if anyone knows graphical puzzle games like boulderdash, emerald mine and supaplex it was like that. Basically run around in four directions with athe arrow keys  trying to find the exit in an audio dungeon only able to hear what' ;s immediately around you. It had slides, teleporters, forcefields, pushable rocks, nasty monsters that ate you, swtiches to open doors or change other things, pits and a new challenge or puzzle in every level.

I particularly liked the touch mechanic where you could touch what was immediately around you, and the fact that it actually used limited audio hearing in interesting ways with you needing to use logic and sound to determine what was in the spaces near you, indeed several of the crazy party minigames reminded me of aura.
The full game was to have hundreds of levels, but only a short demo was released. there was an updated demo in I believe 2011, but since then we've heard nothing.

There are probably a bunch of others, but those are the ones that occur to me immediately.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : grryfindore via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Figment via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dalen lewin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : slender via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Figment via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Locutus via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ross via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dalen lewin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dalen lewin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Andy93 via Audiogames-reflector