Re: Monthly chat October 2016

@Locutus, The elf queen sends her greetings :d.
Actually I can't claim to be a particularly good cook, though it is usually me who cooks. I'd like to get better now I have someone else to cook for though. My friend who cooked us the awesome meal is a fantastic gourmet chef, who likes experimenting on me (and now on my lady as well), with various creations.

this usually goes on well into the night complete with wine, liqueurs and various fun doings, albeit I've never actually got totally drunk.
Last night we started with the crab, then had the freshly court halibut, which was gorgious!
We then had beef cheeks slow cooked in red wine with roast parsnips, potatoes and carrots with honey and cinnamon, followed by sticky toffee pudding (though that one my friend hadn't made he'd just bought it in).

it was lovely but basically we didn't get to sleep until about three and have spent today sort of dead, plus yes, the kitchin is a right bomb sight! big_smile.

Books wise, I tend to avoid stuff written from specific series like startrek, starwars or even doctor who since I tend to find the quality is usually a bit off mostly because there isn't a producer and authors can go really crazy! like having Palpatine's new apprentice who is sooo much harder than darth vader, or reveal that Picard went back in time and had an affair with uhura and that Guinan is actually Picard's daughter, having the federation invaded by the Gemhadar's cousins who are twenty times worse, and mutate, and have cyborg limbs and can raise the dead and who have laser canons bolted to their forheads and neuclear missile launchers for arms big_smile. (I might be exaggerating a little but you get my point).

It's one reason even with doctor who I tend to confine myself more either to novelizations of actual tv stories or to the big finish audios which have an actual producer to say "no! author! that's off the rail! tone it down a bit!!" albeit sometimes they do still go nuts and overly epic occasionally which can be a bit urcsome.

Ready player 1 I have on my victor currently, and need to read, especially with it being read by will weaton. As to peter clines, I did read the x heroes series but I really didn't like them much. Far too much cliche and really not an enspired writing style, then again super heroes aren't my thing and while I thought a zombocalypse might have interesting affects I was mistaken. fourteen though i hear is more a specific horror, which might be good, heck the second x heroes book and the one that played with reality had some nice twists, albeit I didn't like how the heroes basically punched their way out of things big_smi
 le.

As for me, I'm currently I've just started rosemery and rue by seanon mcguire. it's an urban fantasy ala dresden, about a woman called october day who is half faefae, in a world where the fae courts are still around and playing politics.
It's looking interesting thus far albeit the writing is a bit abrupt. I do like the way that unlike  Dresden and most characters who go all the "Oooooh! look at my super aaaaanxt! my life is so terrible!" October day actually does have a reason given the first thing that happens is she gets transformed into a fish and stuck in a pond for fourteen years while her daughter grows up without her and her boyfriend moves on, so while she's very pissed at the start of the novel and being quite a git it at least does make sence, she's not just being an arse for the sake of being arsy.

I'll see where this one goes, my lady enjoyed it and usually I appreciate her recommendations.