Re: Monthly chat October 2016

@Aaron, wherever I can! The Rnib, big finish, pretty much anywhere. Right now I'm heavily plundering my lady's book collection since as an American X pat she has access to bard, and the amount of stuff they have is literally ridiculous! (it makes the rnib look rather sick).

@Tjt, I first thought bookshare was only text stuff, as I have said before i really don't like reading actual novels with a synth. I then thought bookshare wasn't available outside the states, though admitedly the same is theoretically true of the Bard stuff too.

Amusingly enough, a very scuzzy arsehole who was attempting to be vile to my lady once accused her of marying me just to get a Uk entrance visa (which is absolute rubbish if you know anything about the visa application process), I actually told her if anything i could be accused of marrying her just to get access to her audiobook collection :d.

Well rosemery and rue is proving interesting. The start was a bit ro cky since it was a huge infodump and it did strike me the author was working a little too hard to make October day overly snarky, however things are settling down now, and we're finding out more about the world.
Two things I already like is that where in most urban fantasy noire type books the hole "Aaaanxt! my life is so terrible!" of the main character feels a bit excessive, in this case it really doesn't given the book basically starts with October Day being turned into a fish for fourteen years and entirely missing her daughter's life, also since she neglected to tell her fiance that she happened to be a changeling, half fey, he wasn't exactly forgiving when she turned up again. It does look though like she's going to cheer up and get things more together in course of the book, but it is quite a good start and actually makes the grim toned earned rather than forced. The comments as well of someone who gets turned into a fish in 1995 and t hen reappears in 2009 are sort of amusing, particularly about mobile phones.

The other thing I'm really liking is that the world of the fey and the way Mcguires doing them is very, very! alien, and incredibly dangerous. It's definitely a world with it's own rules and politics, and not just "woooo! there are werwolves in the back streets and vampires with crime lords" heck, even as a changeling october Day's world is a little weerd given that she has to walk around with a perminant glammer to stop people seeing her as a fey, and be inside each dawn since at dawn all enchantments get a bit scarred.

Whether this will change my opinion on urban fantasy in general I'm not sure, but we'll see.